Saturday, June 11, 2011

Meet Nelson


This is Nelson.  He's an Australian Shepherd mix that we adopted on June 3, 2011.  Our vet thinks that he is about a year and a half to two years old.  I think he might be a little bit younger...but I trust Dr. Rocky.

He's a very sweet boy...a little bit timid...but overall...just a sweetheart.

I would love to do therapy work with him.  I think he will be great visiting sick or elderly people.  However, we have a LONG way to go before he's ready for therapy work.  Loud noises scare him so I am currently working on getting him fully socialized and desensitized.  I am also looking for an obedience class for us to take.  The biggest challenge with him so far is that he is NOT at all motivated by treats.  He eats his meals ok but he doen'st appear to be motivated by getting treats at this point.  I am a big believer in reward based training, especially "Click and Treat" training techniques.  I'm going to have to figure out how to reward him without treats.

He's OBVIOUSLY had some training before.  He's housebroken and walks on a leash better than most dogs I've ever seen. 

I would love to know his story.  Where did he come from?  HOW did a sweetheart like this end up in a kill pound in Altus, Oklahoma?

Oh well, whatever his story was until we found him...I hope you follow our story from this point forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment