Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Heart Worm Treatment #1

The day that I've dreaded for a month.  Nelson's first heart worm treatment.  Injecting poison into this sweet boy's body to kill worms in his heart.  Dead worms will then be released to flow through his body....finding a spot to clog his heart...his lungs...his brain.  NOT good.  : (

BUT...I completely trust Dr. Rocky and his staff at Turtle Creek Veterinary Medical Clinic (TCVMC) in Greenville.  Completely.  My daughter worked for him and his wife.  His beautiful twin girls were flower girls at my daughter's wedding.  I trust him...and I trust his wife, Laurie (PhD) to make sure he is "the best of the best."    :)  His staff is wonderful too.  Nice and caring people.

Ok, enough of the advertisements for TCVMC... : P

I dropped Nelson off this morning on the way to work.  I cried as I drove to work.  Shocking for those of you who think of me as a "man's man" I know.  Sorry you had to learn that about me.

I called at noon to check on Nelson.  Dr. Rocky gave me the good news that Nelson was doing well.  No obvious damage to his lungs.  His heart looked good.  Prognosis....Great!

I picked Nelson up at 5:00 PM.  I was AMAZED at how good he looked.  Of course, he is on pain medication so he was a little sedated...but he looked GREAT!

We have some things to watch for in the next few days....every step he takes for the next 60 days will be at the end of a leash to ensure that he doesn't start running and get his heart rate elevated. 

I'm so very happy that Ann found Nelson in time for us to save him.  I'm so glad that the initial heart worm test was negative...we would have never considered him had we known...but now...Worth every bit of the money and the trouble to give this sweet boy a healthy life.

3 comments:

  1. Nelson did great today! He's every bit of how you've described him ... such a sweet boy with lots of love to give, and no expectations of any of us. Thank you for letting us take care of him... and you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea for the good report. I know you will be so relieved to be past this stage of his life. It's good you and Ann rescued him. You needed each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited that he took the first treatment well. Will continue to lift him and you guys up in prayer. Nelson was very lucky to find such great "parents." Wish all dogs could have the same luck, but there's so many without a good home. God has a special plan for good people like you and Ann. Pam Robertson

    ReplyDelete